Tuesday, September 1, 2015

TBC Cobra Quad Build Frameset

A little under 2 years ago, I stumbled across my two race bikes that my mum still had stored away in the garage. That sparked my interest back into BMX. Fumbling around the internet I started coming across many bikes that I didn't know about and spotted the TBC Cobra Quad.

The Cobra Quad was imported and sold by the Toowoomba Bicycle Company in the mid eighties. It was a flipped-upside-down copy of the SE Racing Quadangle. I managed to uncover a little history about the frameset from a member on OZBMX who originally worked at the TBC factory in the eighties.

"The top bar was added here in the Australian factory after the boss realised these were faulty Chinese frames and frame would bend at the head tube when any weight was on bike"

The TBC Quad came with either Skyway Forks or a freestyle version of the SE Racing Landing Gear forks with peg bosses in the top and bottom of each leg. My Cobra Quad has Skyway Forks.

The frame is in good shape but I feel that I will be stripping it back to metal and having it sealed and painted in the near future. There's a little bit of rust starting to show up in various spots.

No comments:

Post a Comment